Audio Bacon’s review queue is always growing. Sometimes we just have a few hours or days with a product. Quick Bits are meant to give our readers a concise overview of a product. We’ll let the photos speak on the superficial, features, inputs/outputs, etc. We’ll most likely skip all the technicals and get straight what’s most important – how it sounds.
The Prism Sound CALLIA is a DAC and preamplifier. It also has a built-in headphone amplifier with its own volume knob.
- 44.1kHz to 384kHz
- DSD64 or DSD128
- Low impedance headphone output (adjustable via dip switches).
- Chord Blu Mk.2 M Scaler
- Zenwave Furutech DPS-4 power cord
- Audience Au24 SX RCA
- WAVE High Fidelity Storm Reference BNC cables
- Chord TToby stereo amplifier
- ATC SCM7 speakers
- JL Audio F110 V2 subwoofer
- Innuos Zenith SE music server
- Roon – Works out of the box
- Tonally more on the leaner, thinner, and drier side of the spectrum, which imparts transparency, detail, and spaciousness.
- Articulation is quick and crispy with an undeniable clarity.
- More energetic overtones with plenty of sparkles and sizzle up top. Cymbals have a nice shine.
- High resolution. Textural cues trade body for resolution and delineation of lines.
- An incredibly wide soundstage and large image.
- Vocal recordings are very detailed and have plenty of surrounding air.
- Tonally shifted towards the higher frequencies of the spectrum. Bass doesn’t quite have that low-end grunt or weight but is very well-resolved.
- with Chord Blu Mk.2 input (RCA coaxial)
- More fleshed out and consolidated. Much more focused. In comparison to straight USB from the Innuos server, the central image is much less “diffused.”
- More aural contrast, especially on the low end. Bass lines and plucks have more thump and weight.
- Overall more textured and solid sonic landscape.
- Much smoother mids. No signs of grain.
- Ever so slightly warmer.
- Improved phase timing and timbre
- Coats the sound with more liquidity
- Quieter and more nuanced in the lower level details.
- Drives most headphones very well.
- Wish there were a remote. It’s been a while since I had to turn a knob from my listening position.
- More tonal density is provided when fed from a Chord Blu Mk.2. Scales very well with better sources. Current CALLIA owners will find the new Chord M Scaler to be a very worthy addition to their system.
- Those looking for something warmer and richer sound will have to look elsewhere.
- Those looking for a transparent, resolving, and energetic sound, the CALLIA might your ticket.